RESEARCH POSITION IN ALGEBRA (12/07/2013)
Centro de Álgebra da Universidade de Lisboa (CAUL), Portugal,
(http://caul.cii.fc.ul.pt/), is one of the research centers of the University of
Lisbon (http://www.ul.pt/) linked to several mathematical departments in Portugal.
The research at CAUL sits within various areas of Algebra, namely Lattices,
Universal Algebra and Algebraic Logic; Automata, Languages, Groups and Semigroups,
which are intrinsically connected to Theoretical Computation and to Computational
Algebra. CAUL is interested in extending its research, with special interest in
applications and computational questions.
An excellent research environment is provided with a frequent flow of visitors.
CAUL seeks to hire one scientist for a 23,5 months research position in Algebra,
specialized in research areas related to the ones mentioned above.
- PhD in Mathematics or Theoretical Computer Science;
- Minimum of three years of research experience after PhD;
- Planning and organizational skills;
- Communication skills;
- Proven ability to write reports and high quality publications;
- Fluency in written and spoken English;
- Experience in working within a team, preferably in an interdisciplinary team,
will be considered as an asset.
There are several tasks and duties associated with this position. The successful
candidate should in collaboration with members of CAUL:
- Develop new theories, methods and applications;
- Contribute to the analysis and to the resolution of problems;
- Write reports and papers on research results.
Additionally, the candidate may be required to:
- Assist with the Mathematics PhD program;
- Perform minor administrative duties.
Salary corresponds to the index 195 of the Scientific Research Career Remuneration
Guidelines, which in 2013 corresponds to € 3.191,82 before taxes and austerity
The candidates should send:
- a covering letter;
- a complete CV including an outline of future research plans;
- two or three selected preprints / reprints;
- names and contact information for three references.
Application deadline: 20th September 2013
Please refer to the job reference in all application materials.
All correspondence should be sent by mail to Mrs Patrícia Paraíba, CAUL, Av. Prof.
Gama Pinto, 2, 1649-003 Lisboa, Portugal, or preferably by email to
Candidates chosen from a final short list may be asked to have an interview at CAUL,
in person or by videoconference.
Although the candidates should have a minimum of 3 years postdoctoral research
experience, in exceptional cases, duly justified, FCT may consider accepting
applicants with less than 3 years of post-doctoral experience. The jury reserves the
right not to fulfil the post in absence of qualified applications.