Two-year research position in the fields of Algebra and Computational Algebra (19/05/2013)
Centro de Álgebra da Universidade de Lisboa (CAUL), Portugal,
(http://caul.cii.fc.ul.pt/), is a research center linked to several mathematical
departments in Portugal.
The research areas at CAUL are Lattices, Universal Algebra and Algebraic Logic;
Automata, Languages, Groups and Semigroups. Some of these areas are intrinsically
related to Theoretical Computation and to Computational Algebra. CAUL is interested
in continuing to develop these areas and to extend its research to related topics,
with special interest in applications and computational questions.
CAUL provides an excellent research environment with a frequent flow of visitors.
CAUL seeks to hire one scientist for a two-year research position in Algebra,
preferably in the research areas mentioned above, or in Computational Algebra.
- PhD in Mathematics or Theoretical Computer Science;
- Minimum three years of research experience after PhD;
- Planning and organizational skills;
- Communication skills;
- Proven ability to write reports and high quality publications;
- Fluency in written and spoken English;
- Experience in working in a team, preferably in an interdisciplinary team, will
be considered as an asset.
There are several tasks and duties associated with this position. The successful
candidate should in collaboration with members of CAUL:
- Develop new methods and applications;
- Help analyze information and solve problems;
- Write reports and papers on research results.
Additionally, the candidate may be required to:
- Assist with the Mathematics PhD program;
- Perform minor administrative duties.
Salary corresponds to the index 195 of the Scientific Research Career Remuneration
Guidelines, which in 2013 corresponds to € 3.191,82 before taxes and austerity
The candidates should send:
- a covering letter;
- a complete CV including an outline of future research plans;
- two or three selected preprints / reprints;
- names and contact information for three references.
Application deadline: July 26, 2013
Please refer to the job reference in all application materials. All correspondence
should be sent by mail to Mrs Patrícia Paraíba, CAUL, Av. Prof. Gama Pinto, 2,
1649-003 Lisboa, Portugal, or preferably by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Candidates chosen from a final short list may be asked to have an interview at CAUL.
Candidates should have a minimum of 3 years postdoctoral research experience. In
exceptional cases, duly justified, FCT may consider accepting applicants with less
than 3 years of post-doctoral experience. The jury reserves the right not to fulfill
the post in absence of qualified applications.